Tuesday, July 11, 2017

"...clippings"



This from my "FB" page today.

In honor of the now near 100 folks out there that sent Birthday greetings. Again you sure you got the right guy? Anyway some "Sydneyland" History. How I became "Uncle Sydney,...or Sidney". In 1985 Spring I think. I was standing in the hallway of that radio station I lived at for centuries. Well My pal Steve Erickson the then program director, and later serious euro-music, and radio guy wandered out of his office. In them days were we all comrade pals at the place,...it got evil later. Anyway he said he thought we should be doing a kid's program, and thought I'd be a "natural" at it.

You performer kids pay attention to this...99% of show business is showing up, and maybe wandering the right hallway at the right time.

About the friendly deal. 'Course I had conditions...who don't. Anyway it was settled in that hallway, and for the next near four years I was host of what I called "Child's Play". One of the so I read in the "Times". One of the strangest programs for youngsters ever broadcast.

It was too.

Btw I should hunt up my "clippings" to remind myself I used to exist. Anyway I told them stories, and all the usual kid stuff, but with an angle. I did the show I always wanted to hear when little. Answers to questions that parents, and adults generally ducked. Death bullying illness why the world does what it does to people. The 'real' history of things. All that, and weird recordings from the whole of the 20th century.

Some late 19th century noises tossed in to interest the young folks in history.

For years after I ran into grown folks with families that used to listen. Where do the decades go. I have just a few examples of the show still. When I rebuild my Pod-Radio station, this perhaps in fall or winter I intend to play a few.

Almost forgot.

"Uncle". How I got the name.

As it happens no I never on-air called myself "Uncle Sydney". Though that was my Aftra/Sag stage name. However because of the kid show. My pals around my station, and others just gradually began calling me that, and it stuck. My audience for other works heard about this from them my pals on other shows. So they called me the same from then on.
248 years later "Uncle" I am, and it seems "Uncle" I will remain to my glorious though no doubt messy sign-off.


The End.

No comments: