Saturday, July 20, 2019

"I love Company"


An Evangelical couple knocked on my door last Sunday. How they got into the building I don't know. I was polite, and didn't ask. They were looking for converts. Much as their pals the Jehovah Witnesses.

I'm always polite when folks come to visit. The only folks I see are the social workers the City sends to make sure elders like me are still alive, and not living in some sort of hoarder's hell.

My place is the opposite,...very Zen.

Anyway I let's them in we sit, and they try to save me from Satan grasp. I tell them it's far too late for that. Also as to how Lucifer was Yahweh's boyfriend, and they still have a kind of thing going on. 

I think I confused them. 

Anyway I love chatting theologies with the faithful. Always have since I was a kid. I pissed my folks off by letting them Witness nutters in. So I goes on about how all them bronze/iron age Mediterranean myths were so much alike. That, and how Christians took on so many elements of them.

Confused looks.

This wasn't going that way it usually does for them. I warmed to my subject. ...A waited for savior born of a virgin that from the Greeks. Divine interventions, and winged animals, and people...angels. This from the Persians. 
Basically Comparative Religions 101,...which these folks never took or perhaps heard of.

We had a nice back, and forth. 

They said as to how Satan had confused me with false texts, and science. I asked if they knew what the scientific method was. Blank stares. I mentioned the car they drive in, and the lights they just read scripture by, and the printing press the scripture was made with came from that. ...Blank.

We went on to personalities in the Bible. 

They favored a few that proved that gawd wanted males to dominate women all that. I mentioned that was a tradition of desert peoples where most of our religious myths come from. 
Also the many sources for these guys. That they were never one person. That like Moses these folks were an ancient conglomeration of many prophets god's kings stories all that. 

Horror...actual horror came across the face of my older guest.

I took their comic books, and thanked them, and invited them to visit again. They said that science had confused me, and they'd pray for me.

Actually that was very nice. Prayers are at heart positive affirmations. Their comic books were cute as well. Full of visions of heaven. Sort of like Disneyland without the mouse. 

They left, and I went back to watching "Predator".


No comments: