Thursday, August 22, 2019

"...On Suddenly Dropping Dead"


Which I nearly did this afternoon here in the Emerald City. 'Got an email from the library wanting some stuff back. Yeah I figured I'd get around to it. Anyway they send you shit a day or two before due date.

So off I went.

The sun was high it was profoundly humid, and at or near 90f. As it's been all month. Bleep it I thought. I was going out for more peaches anyway. The library doors being wide open, and there being no one inside were bad signs.

The Climate Control blew out. 'was 250f in there. Had been I was told since the weekend. They were waiting for a City crew to come. ...good luck. However a few brave librarians remained at their sweaty posts. 
There ready to help anyone dumb enough,...like me, to enter that oven. 

Bless Librarians.

Bless fruit stores too. Especially in summer. Us senior citizens would hardly eat without them. Swell stuff, and all priced to go. I got a nice bag of peaches some peanuts seltzer, and went out into the inferno.

This was a mistake.

Once again I forgot to bring water, and once again heat exhaustion crept in. I had planned to rest at the library,...it being a heat shelter, and all. However that didn't pan out. So four long,...very long Parkway blocks in the very scary sun. 

The air literally steam. 
No surprise halfway home I nearly fell over. The usual ringing in my head my vision tunneling, and I was suddenly cold. Kids don't do this at home.

I thought of sitting on a Parkway bench, but remembered that might be suicidal. They say keep walking keep you blood moving so you don't pass out. I made it home. 

I have a cure,...

Take a cold shower at once to lower your body temps. Drink plenty of water turn on the bleeping AC, and lay down till shit clears up,...it does in an hour or so. Imagine once when a lad I liked it hot. 

However back then the ocean wasn't rising the glaciers weren't melting, and it wasn't 100f degrees for months at a time. Oddly I'm still adjusting to the new climate. As a kid no one had to carry water with them, and heat shelters were in the Sahara desert not Brooklyn.

Anyway I didn't die.

...this time.

No comments: