Tuesday, August 29, 2017

"Bucket List"



( Life goes on. Just ask our pal Godzilla here as he paints his new digs in Queens.)

It was July 4th two hours ago, and now September is in our faces. With it comes "Labor Day" the "official" end of Summer. Granted summer doesn't really end till September 21st, but ya see what I'm saying.

When you're young a year seems like ten years now it's about a half hour. You watch it'll be Christmas in two weeks.

Been a hell of a ride.

'Been looking at that "Bucket List". Stuff I mean to do while I still have time. First what have I done. Well I was in a police raid of a Gay Bar as a kid. I had lunch a number of times on the ledge of the 96th floor of the Empire State Building back when I was a transmitter engineer.

I dangled my feet over the edge while eating "Arbie's" pastrami.

Went to a Nude beach with pals for a few summers. Was in a race riot, and had a car explode in near me. The fire ball went on forever! Overdosed on narcotics. Died three times because of it. Foolishly came back each time. Been to any number of "Be-In" events. Ask ya hippy grandma what that was.

Had a bullet just miss my head on Albany Avenue in Brooklyn during the 1990's Crack Wars. It's true what George Washington said about that. Not the Crack wars...bullets.

"Fired musket rounds have the Deep Hum of Angry Wasps."

It did.

I slept outside with pals on the balcony of a skyscraper in mid-town. This while a full summer moon rose over the Chrysler Building behind us. There were the green streaks of meteors as well. A night to remember indeed.

I nearly drowned as a lad.

I remember being knocked down by a Huge wave, and being dragged out to sea. I saw bubbles grains of sand seaweed, and that would have been the last thing I saw.

However I wasn't getting out of this "job" that easy.  Because after the sand, and sea weed came this bleeping big arm with an equally big hand attached to it.

There was one of them Army wrist watches on that arm which grabbed me, and hauled my little butt back to the beach. I think I was too freaked out to cry.

All I remember is being hauled back up, and I think passed on to my Mom. There was all this noise yelling I think crying...my Mom I guess. I don't remember anything about the man that saved me.

Other than his big hairy arm, and his watch.

Mind you I've nearly bought it any number of times since. However that one stays with me. I'm here today to whine, and complain because of some neat guy with big hairy arms.

Ain't life something.

As for that "Bucket List"...the British Museum Paris Disney World that place where they 'really' stash the them space aliens, and Santa's Work Shop are on it for sure. Other stuff too, but ya know.

Since you're here there's something else on my mind.

This country would be better off certainly more Just, and sane if it were smaller. Say seven or eight states. Yeah that makes sense. New England, and a few others...maybe up to Pennsylvania.

....that sounds right.

The rest of them "Murakans"can drink heavily praise jeebus burn books beat'n starve their children abuse their wives, and shoot each other as they do so well, and often.

Meanwhile we'll just collect maple syrup have community feasts sing songs plays, and write bad poetry.

I like it.

Oh,...the Vermont New York, and Maine Air National Guard keep all their Phantoms, and F-16's/18's along with that stash of nukes the feds hide in New Hampshire.

Okay we're Hippies, but not stupid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

7 or 8 states as a nation - you know, I think that might work pretty well. It's a good size for a well-run democracy or republic. There's already a secessionist movement in Vermont, and word is the people behind it are far from stupid. You definitely want the F-16s, though.

Z

Anonymous said...

I too nearly drowned as a kid; twice, in fact. The first time as a small child I jumped off a diving board, eager to show off my new swimming skills, but couldn't handle the deep end; a man dove in and rescued me - my stepmother's sister's husband.

The second time I was twelve and had gotten lost alone on a desert peninsula in Baja. Trying to swim the channel back to La Paz, I belatedly realized I couldn't possibly make it and turned back in a panic; I might have made it back to shore - there to die of thirst, quite possibly, as I'd already been without water for over 24 hours. But that moment I spotted a small rowboat, and called out for help. Three Mexican boys pulled me on board. When they gave me a gourd full of fluid - a coconut, no doubt - I drained every drop of the sweet nectar. Then they took me back to the town.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

When death comes it's never as we thought it would be. Mostly because we're busy trying to stay alive. The rip tide that got me was strong. there was nothing I could do. it was as if I were tied up. I was just going with the tide. Nature is strong as shit, and don't care about you or anything else.

I'm glad random chance or the Angels, same thing, saved you.

Clearly you still had much to do,...even more to do yet. like being my long time friend which matter me a great deal.

I'll hang on to this thing if you will.

Anonymous said...

Yes, hang on, as long as it's not a source of too great suffering. There's got to be some joy in life.

Z