Monday, August 7, 2017

"Overcast with Strong Winds"


I needed to get out of my damned digs for more than a walk to the market or laundry, and back. I was only at the Coney Island Boardwalk once, and that in the Spring before the season opened.

So I got on the "D" train, and bleeping went.

Btw the trains were fucked as always on weekends. "Construction" they sez. They been saying that for years now. What the hell are they building, and where? So only locals running.


I forgot the noise, and chaos from the sweaty heaps of folks careening trains, and machine gun battles between gangs of 4th graders. It immediately gave me a headache. I can't believe I used to hack my way through all this everyday for decades.

Speaking of crowds though they drive me crazy I loves 'em. New York crowds that is. You can walk miles, and not understand a word spoken. There's a grand symphony of languages here all day everyday. The idea of being somewhere where only one language fly's is strange indeed. I prefer the mystery of our Tower of Babel.


You name we got it.

Though I sometimes miss Americans. Ya know that bunch from across the Hudson. Their sort of English is weird, but to me endearing. Don't hear it much. These folks are usually among the tourists from Earth that show up every summer.

Btw did you know our town could absorb the populations of a dozen of their states with room left over for Belgium. We could swallow them whole. You'd never see them again...except for maybe the occasional freaked out guy in a cowboy hat clutching a Bible asking if this was Hell.

Well, ...depends on your point of view.

They say there 115 known ethnic groups running around loose here in town. This not counting the shadow populations of Werewolves Wizards Faeries Angels Demons Halflings Vampires Time travelers Space Aliens Ancient Shamans Witches, and Republicans.

Bless 'em. Well mostly,...ya know.

Anyway on my subway car alone there were Russians Armenians Chinese varieties of Caribbean folks. Hispanics from everywhere south of Texas. Heck I even saw some regular Black folks like me descended from our "Great Migration" north 100 years ago. Did I mention assortments of Jewish folks regular Orthodox Ethiopian everybody. Did I mention my years as a Shabbos goy as a lad?

I was listening to some Algerians with a bunch of kids chatting this near some Haitians also having at it. It was fascinating trying to tell the differences between Algerian colonial French, and Haitian colonial French Creole.

Is this a neat town or what?



Anyway the Beach was the next stop up. All the kids went nuts jumping up, and down singing, and throwing stuff. Older folks were happy too. Though tried not to let it show,...why I don't know. That's another essay.

The door opens on our stainless steel can of air conditioned farts, and the sea breeze rushes in...yep this is the Place.

Eh did I mention it was overcast with strong winds?



Bleep it I'm there so "Nathan's" first stop! Then my favorite site the great carousel barn! It's them little things that make a life. In this case sitting at the great carousel chowing down on fries' dawgs, and watching folks have a neat time. 



After a while I wandered about taking snaps of the crowds, and such. Seemed I wandered into "Salsa Sunday". Plenty of sound systems along the 'Walk', and folks of all ages dancing away. Laughter dancing eating drinking pals kids the ocean what the bleep more does one need?



Of course "Bob the Bunny", and Shanghai Barbie" came along for the ride. I took a few snaps of them before they went off to ride the "Cyclone" rollercoaster for the rest of the day. Meantime I set up my "Firebird" kite, and let her loose. She got applause from passers as she went up...yeah a good day.



Good however as I said overcast, and seriously windy. The "Firebird's cord snapped after about an hour of flight. Snapped...I could feel the jolt telegraph down the line to my hands.



It broke loose and flew on way down the beach. It finally circled dipped, and spun into a sea of many colored beach umbrellas. Aw well,...maybe whoever it landed on will adopt it, and give it a new home.

Next I did what I always do when I get out there,...I took a nap on my usual bench along the "Coney Island" Boardwalk. ...life is good. It really don't take much to make a soul happy.

Next year I'll get another kite.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool kite!

No, it really doesn't take that much to make one happy. A nice cup o' something at my favorite cafe and a good read or a pleasant conversation can easily do it for me.

Also, a change of scene at the seashore or other agreeable nature-like surroundings is good for you: the ozone, the fresh air, the negative ions or whatever - it's like it cleanses your aura. You come back feeling better, refreshed.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

Pretty much.

I feel slightly less insane, and cleansed.

Padraig said...

Beautiful post Sydney.

Listener Pat