Friday, January 10, 2020

"...tubes"


A little story about my first radio set. It was a 1942 small "Zenith". 'Made of plywood which was really new, and cool in the 40's. They made patrol boats out if it so it had to be cool. Anyway this was about 1963 or so I'm around 12. My Aunt Sybil,...aka Mum gave me her old set. Being a model kit fan,...thanks cousin Jimmy. I'm gluing crap for 60+ years, and still at it. Anyway I went at it like it was a model Spitfire. I cleaned the set. Scrapped the housing. Put a fresh varnish coat on it. Cleaned the electrics rack replaced the old tubes. They still sold radio tubes then. That, and she was in business,...with some of her 1940's tubes still working, and playing Motown, and the Beatles. 
Above is a near spitting image. Thanks Aunt Sybil.

No comments: