Thursday, December 5, 2019

"A Xmas Memory"


One of the unknowing effects of living as an elder partial Shut-in is that you don't speak,...much.
I really don't notice either.
I read write go online listen to music, and such, but don't have many actual conversations.
So I began to recite.
This evening I began to read passages from a book by Christopher Isherwood. "Christopher, and his Kind 1929~1939".
About the physical volume. I bought it on December, 10th in the year 1976. I was 26, and a gay activist.
It was inscribed to me by Mr. Isherwood who was by chance at the book store. The Oscar Wilde Memorial Bookshop.
He was a kindly fragile bright personality. At the time I thought him elderly. I think I may be older than him now.
So I read portions of three chapters aloud. This reminded me of my broadcast times when I would read stories to the listeners in the deep of night. This over many years.
Now I read again. Only now for an audience of one. Still it was as fulfilling tonight as it was for all those years.

No comments: