Monday, December 16, 2019

“…four kills”,...from a year ago.

Late this morning I was told by a neighbor there was another shooting on the block. I mercifully slept through this one. I actually heard the last one. The night before July 4th. I heard a life pointlessly extinguished.
Makes six shootings so far this year with four kills.
I went to the corner to bear witness as I do when this happens. Crime scene taped off in yellow. Those plastic little stand-up cards marking where the expended shell casings landed. This time the victim was wounded not killed.
No idea why he was shot.
The cops never talk, but do ask questions. The usual,…did I “see or hear anything” will I “be available later for further questions?”
The blessing is no Deaths. However this year six attempts, and four kills on the block. This is supposed to be a relatively safe area.
The key word is “relatively”.
Other parts of this City as I said last time are like Yemen.
Something I’ve notice over the past year.
Blood.
The look of blood on concrete.
In spring it keeps it’s deep redness for a time. In summer it sticks damp to the sidewalk as dark maroon then black. This till it fades by being walked over then flushed out by rain.
Now in winter it seems to flake after just a few hours in the freezing temps.
It was 29f/-1c at the time so it dried, and froze. Soon to be blown away in the wind.
Life in War Time.
Yes it is. Don’t delude yourself.
Many parts of this republic are in a state of War.

No comments: