Sunday, October 22, 2017

"Long March"


Well this evening I went to church. That wasn't the intention, but things have a way of just happening. It all began as so many of my adventures do. This by my sitting in my house minding my own damned business. ...then I hear drums.

Bugles too.

In fact it sounded like a troop of French infantry was wandering down a nearby street. I sticks my head out the window, and yeah the French Army is in town. I put my shoes on, and heads out following the sound of the beat.

Seems some religious sect is having a procession.

These folks were Santerian as in Santeria. This gleeful bunch are an Afro Cuban mix of Roman Catholicism with portions of West African Animism. They had a neat band too. I got into the cadence, and followed along. I ain't been in a religious procession since my Confirmation 48,000 years ago.

I loved it. The folks were neat. The beat hypnotic,...which it's supposed to be. As ya know I have trouble getting around, but the vibe, and the beat got me through all eight blocks. These are Brooklyn blocks. The longest sort.
We went through the whole hood.  Past the library the fire station the endless bodegas. That, and folks sitting out on their stoops enjoying the warm October night. Warm October 'anything' means the end of the world, but put that aside for now.

Everybody was out to watch. Orthodox Jewish folks Homeboys White yuppies new to the hood Chinese assorted Hispanics, and cops glad for the easy overtime.

My feet didn't even hurt,...da lawd was with me.

The procession was following a statue of Black Jesus carrying his cross as in the passion. It was lit up neon, and was rocked to side to side as we went. There was loads of incense as well...the nice kind. We ended up at my old parish Church. The very place that ruled, and ruined my childhood.

Bleep it I can take a joke.

After a procession of eight profoundly long blocks we as I sez got to church. Mercifully I sat down. 'Haven't been in the place for some decades. Walk past it constantly, but never in. It was gorgeous. It has been renewed over, and over by waves of different ethnic groups since my childhood in the late 1950's.

In my time white Nuns ruled these frescoes, and vaulted ceilings This back when ethnic Irish Italians, and German's ran the show. They in their grand generosity even let a few colored in...me, and mine. Imagine their surprise when Negros began to out number them. Then Hispanics of many kinds began to out number us. Then Haitians began to out number 'everybody'.

Hey life in da big city.

Anyhow I was the Lords boy tonight. It was swell I had a wonderful time. I chatted with the current pastor. We went over the 115 year history of the Church, and the school that was once next door,...another story for another time. He had a good laugh when I said I dated from when white Nuns ruled his turf.

Anyway it was a pleasant, and unexpected good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like an excellent party. I’m glad your feet were up to the job. Clearly the Orisha were with you.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

Yeah them guys have a nice sense of humor, and divine patients.

Way more than them Nuns that used to hang around there.