Tuesday, May 30, 2017

"Eat the Poor"



This much on my mind to the sentiment common in government now to basically abolish most of the social safety net. In particular feeding the hungry. They have a thing about the poor eating. I'm reminded of a parable told by Speaker of the House Paul Ryan.

He said his grandmother stopped him from feeding stray animals. "...they'll just reproduce". She told him to let nature take it's "natural course". In other words let the hungry stay that way. Leave them to their fate. This sums up the republican life view.

I'm on SNAP, a nice acronym for food stamps. This being newly retired, and poor. I use it to get essentials. There are many things you can't get medications transportation soap toilet paper household goods generally cooked foods cold cuts. In some states fruit bottled drinks including milk, and canned meats. Such is contempt for the poor from the right.

From the left items that offend the politically correct are wished to be added. As I've read soda candy,...Hershey products in particular, also chips, and such. Granted these things aren't healthy, but neither is not allowing medications. Not even aspirin. Being poor doesn't not exempt you from national personhood. This as the oblivious rich, and some of the more secure middle class believe. That is they decide what you will personally consume if anything.

Must I remind them the funds that keep Snap or "Food Stamps" going were paid for by the people that are using the that federal agency. It's not a charity. I worked since I was 14. I was forcibly retired at 64 paying out of proportion taxes the whole time. So yes I know the score as do tens of millions of others.

I have gone hungry since.

For six months my SNAP case was closed for no reason...as a judge later said. I had to sell most of my belongings during that time just to eat. I actually stood outside of train stations selling things that were dear to me for survival. A traumatic humiliation for someone formally somewhat middle class. ...and of course I never told my family or friends. I think my meds were behind that.

I am now off that toxic hell.

Some progressive lawyers took my case, and got it restored. I paid into the federal government through all those years of taxes. In a slightly better world no one well meaning or the hateful right which means no good to anyone. None would have the right to dictate the lives/choices of others. Working for half a century, and paying taxes into what now feeds me should be without question or blame.

After all that noise I've maybe earned a Hershey bar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so awful what they are doing to you. It's like what happened in post-Soviet Russia, with pensioners, who had been set for life under the Soviet system, selling ballpoint pens at subway stations just for bare subsistence.

I'm a half step away from being in the same situation. One thing I'm sure of: this isn't merely happening to us. This is being done to us. The rich and super-rich are asset-stripping the country. Everyone below a certain point in the hierarchy is being stripped of what little we have; and that point of class division is rising gradually further up into the former middle class.

One thing I've decided for sure: capitalism is dog poop. The rich should be taxed fairly and the national budget run on a sound basis for the benefit of all, like in Scandinavia. But that won't happen here. The great majority of our countrymen are just too dumb to see things the way they are and act accordingly.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

I agree about the mining of resources from now even the once secure middle class. I remember a saying. A warning to white people.

"What they do to niggers today they'll do to your grand kids tomorrow."

Looks like that time has come.