Tuesday, May 22, 2018

"A Day at the Opera'


A visit to Social services is pretty much the same all over the world. Well some are more humane that others. However the common experience is hard plastic seats wall screens tuned to propaganda or cartoons of one sort or other, and seriously long waits. 
Sometimes there's a show as some of the clients are insane or otherwise not quite house broken.

Unlike the Fox news racist crap. No everybody there ain't Black or junkies. Well okay there are blacks, and junkies. However things being what the are the population is as diverse as the true population of this land of the no longer as free as it was.
  
The economy is working fine for one percent of the one percent. The rest of us are fucked. Heck more than half of our armed forces live on food stamps things are so bad. Half the country lives on the edge of poverty, and 50+ millions live in the real thing...lately being an old guy this includes me.

Speaking of me. I'm here because these swell folks take care of part of my utilities every month. Yeah you get this if you don't get killed in a timely manner. You live long enough,...at least in liberal states they keep your lights on. This so you can read your other bills.

In the red states you're fucked. You're supposed to be a rugged individualist. Mind you if they handed out muskets black powder, and lead rounds I might go for that Nazi myth. Ya know go out, and hunt stuff to eat. Like the white pioneers did after they murdered all the Native folks, and took their land.

I'd go to Prospect Park here in Brooklyn along with about two million other proles, and do some rather crowded hunting. This for giant rats mutated squirrels, and toxic pigeons.

This should be fun for the first day or so. After that we'd turn the flint locks on each other for our daily stew.

The upside, besides getting me out of the house, by accident I finished up at the "Department of Not Quite Dead Senior Citizens" in only two hours. Last time it took from 8:30am to after 5pm. ...I went early this time.

Such was my Day at the Opera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds familiar.

Lately my local power company, a conspicuously evil utility corporation, shut off the gas. No stove, no hot water. This because I can’t afford their price-gouging rates.

I finally managed to get a hot plate (no easy task in this “service economy” of big box monstrosities) and have been taking a lot of sponge baths.

I’m very lucky that my electricity is with the city, which is much more reasonable. In time I hope to get some of those on-demand electric water heaters and liberate myself from The Man, but for now I’m stuck with a cold-water walk-up.

Z

P.S. - The power company in question, BTW, is a criminal organization. That’s not merely my opinion, but the opinion of a judge delivered in a high circuit court in January 2017. But of course nobody ever arrests the executives. In fact, in the same year the ceo got a pay raise from over 4 mil a year to more than 8 mil. The justice system works great in this country, if you can afford to purchase that commodity. Z