Thursday, November 16, 2017

"Lifetime"


My latest smarty pants adventure is reading the first book, "Swann's Way", of Marcel Proust's epic triad of words, and dreams. "Remembrance of Things Past". All three books should slowly take me through the winter. I've had an off, and on relationship, like many I imagine, with these books.

It was first shoved into my life in high school, and again later in my short, but world opening university life. It has hovered just out of sight with me ever since. My last involvement was during my radio career when "Watson" of "Listening with Watson" fame did a serialized reading of it.
Bill Watson was a dear friend to me. Some I hope will recall him from his classical music programs from long back in the day.

A vignette. During a period of racist incidents...more than normal back in the early 1980's here in Manhattan. He offered to give me shelter at his country home if things became too dangerous in the city.
.
..he was serious.

He actually gave me a copy of the keys, and detailed directions if I had to leave suddenly. That was Bill. So Marcel Proust "Remembrance of Things Past" "Listening with Watson" classical music my radio life violent Jim Crow are all jelled together in "Swann's Way". Interesting how events persons works of art, and the ways of history come together in our perhaps ordinary yet still unique lives.

Btw I'm reading "Swann's Way" on "Project Gutenberg". A wonder house of online work free to all. Go here for "Swann", and other titles. 

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/7178/7178-h/7178-h.htm


Below is part of the 1992 New York Times Obit for Bill Watson.

He was a good friend.

"Mr. Watson's broke the traditionally staid mold for presenting classical music.
Once he played Bach's "Well-Tempered Clavier," a piece about four hours long -- then promptly played it again. During a tiff with management, he lowered the volume on the commercials until they were inaudible.
He often read poetry and literary works. Occasionally he read the news, adding a passage from "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire" introduced as a dispatch from Edward Gibbons, "our Roman Empire correspondent." A Disdain for Schedules
His broadcast music was chosen on impulse, disdaining scheduled programming. Sometimes he told listeners that if they carefully examined their printed guide, they would discover that "you are tuned to the wrong station."
"He was totally unique and eccentric, doing what a lot of us in radio had hoped it would be," said *Steve Post, host of a classical music program on WNYC. "I still get fan calls asking about him."
Mr. Watson's rich, deep voice was heard on Paramount newsreels, ABC, WQXR, WPAT and WBAI. His late-night "Listening with Watson" on WNCN ran about 15 years. For a time he chose the classical music played on American Airlines planes."

*( Steve was a dear radio comrade, and is now also sadly deceased.)

Like the character "Death" always sez in the Dark Horse Comics series.


"You get what anybody gets,...You Get a Lifetime."

*



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love audiobooks. And freebies are the perfect price. Ever checked out Librivox? I’ll have to pick out something from Gutenberg too.

Bill Watson sounds like a great guy. People like him, not Rockefeller, should live to be 101.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

The site isn't audio books...you have to read.

That's the wonder of it.

You have to read, and read, and read.....