Saturday, February 24, 2018

"...cure"


The World Health Organization plans to add "gaming disorder" in its list of mental health conditions.
Not surprised. Also it should include related addictions to the various "Devices" whole populations can't live without. I saw the signs from the beginning.
Being a drug addict myself. I call myself that though my last hit was near 25 years ago.
You can't shit a shitter as they say.
I saw the signs of mass addiction to the social technologies from day one. Before the internet I watched as friends couldn't take themselves away from the first rudimentary computer games.
They'd spend upwards of 10 to 12 hours at a sitting only to go back for more. My speed, and coke habit was mild compared to this.
I recall making warning's about this trend on my radio programs. Now much of the western world are cyber addicts, and happy to be so.
See "Cyber Olympian" above.
It's gone so far that the addicts themselves now want their games to be Olympic competitions.
Can you see it. A vast arena with hundreds of people in chairs IVs of nutrients stuck to their arms goggles on the heads. This as they battle each other in Cyber Olympics. Heaven for them.
In reality a hell. 
However like all addictions the cyber sort contains it's own cure. You stop or you die.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of addictions, I just read a devastating piece by Andrew Sullivan on the opioid epidemic:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/americas-opioid-epidemic.html

Z

Anonymous said...

Devastating.

Z, I read the article you linked to, and it is just that devastating.

My cousin is dead thanks to the stuff. Once upon a time she was a pretty young girl. Her father found her on the floor of her bedroom, cold and dead.

As we fall into the abyss we will be saying to one another "What happened?"

Anonymous said...

I’m very sorry to hear that, Anonymous.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

I am sorry.

This is the destroyer of lives loves dreams.

We make the mistake of breaking up addiction into separate realties. Whereas they're all of the same compulsive behavior syndrome consuming most of the west.
We're still rich enough to afford addictions.

The nature of our civilization makes us alone frustrated threatened angry empty.
The poor drink themselves to death.
The working poor,...what used to be the lower middle class use opioids to death. The upper middle class, and wealthy has designer drugs.

All are killing themselves for the same reason.

As I said. I died three times from speed/coke/valium overdoses. Like I fool I kept coming back. Maybe to tell people shit on the radio, and rant online. That, and help raise my sister's kid.

Perhaps just to be alive.

Alive in a living world.

You'd think that would be more than enough.

Padraig said...

Does this odd story of a NIMH man and his mice have relevance?

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/42/wiles.php

uncle1950uncle said...

I read John Brunner’s "Stand on Zanzibar" when in high school. It projected the world of my middle years. Time has gone on. I'm a breath from 70. It is even worse now. Brunner was on the money. I re-read it a few years back. He hit it...even computers.

"The behavioral Sink" is exactly where we are now.

Getting on eight billions of us. The say 15 billions at the turn of the next century. ...we're fucked.
Them planetary compulsive addiction waves we're having is a clear sign we're dead ducks. Even as the piece sez if we go down to limited numbers. One billion, half a billion was ideal. Even then we'll still be randomly murdering each other fucking up the planet blowing shit up poisoning everything, and addicted to stuff not yet invented.

Probably some combination of free online sorts of virtual reality stuff mixed with descendants of our assorted drugs of today. yeah I'd log onto illegal variations of "The naked Boy Scouts Jamboree of 1957" This while sipping ice cold Cocaine Coca Cola, and munching cloned fake-beef burgers.

I'd have everything I needed. This as outside my window all the mid-20th century infrastructure crumbles even further into dust.