Monday, February 5, 2018

"...uncle"


The origins of my Honorary Title "Uncle".
Decades ago I accidentally produced a Kids Radio Show. I was wandering around that station I used to work at. I was leaning against the wall outside the Program Directors office,...Stephen Erickson at the time...a pal.
Also one of the last times I had a "Pal" in management.
Anyway he comes out, and asks, "...Hey Syd you wanna do a different sort of show?" What da hell. I sez "yes", and we was off to da races.
Btw always say "yes" when someone wants to put you on the air on TV or in the movies. It's a bigger mess that you can imagine, but say yes anyway,...you'll figure it out as you go along.
Anyway I titled the show "Child's Play",...cute huh.
Years later I met grown-up folks who were kids that used to listen,...imagine.
I did it for several years, and it turned out to be popular. Who knew? My broadcaster comrades back then began calling me "Uncle", and it stuck for 30+ years.
There's a book that could be written about all the many shenanigans that went down in, and around that show.
Like the time several comrades was stoned drunk, and nuts, and trying it sleep it off in the studio while I was telling weird stories to the kiddies about sudden death ghosts, and "Lincoln Logs"
Yeah I know, but it all fit together,...ya had to be there.
We all had a bleeping ball.

No comments: