Monday, December 4, 2017

"...he was serious"


I don't remember if I posted the following on this particular page. I suspect dementia,...I should be so lucky.  Anyway I just came across it in my files so here it is for the first or second time. I've been musing about my broadcast years, and this came back to me.

"My latest smarty pants adventure is reading the first book, "Swann's Way", of Marcel Proust's epic triad of words, and dreams. "Remembrance of Things Past". All three books should slowly take me through the winter. I've had an off, and on relationship, like many I imagine, with these books.
It was shoved into my life in high school, and again later in my short, but world opening university life. It has hovered just out of sight with me ever since. My last involvement was during my radio career when "Watson" of "Listening with Watson" fame did a serialized reading of it."

Bill Watson was a dear friend to me. Some I hope will recall him from his classical music programs from long back in the day. A vignette. During a period of racist incidents...more than normal back in the early 1980's here in Manhattan. He offered to give me shelter at his country home if things became too dangerous in the city.

...he was serious.

He actually gave me a copy of the keys, and detailed directions if I had to leave suddenly. That was Bill. So Marcel Proust "Remembrance of Things Past" "Listening with Watson" classical music my radio life violent Jim Crow are all jelled together in "Swann's Way". Interesting how events persons works of art, and the ways of history come together in our perhaps ordinary yet still unique lives.

Btw I'm reading "Swann's Way" on "Project Gutenberg".
A wonder house of online work free to all. Google it or go here...

http://www.gutenberg.org/

No comments: