Tuesday, December 5, 2017

"My latter Life, and Times"


About getting stuff forever, and ever. The Xmas tide washes over our frayed republic. So everybody is buying all the Korean, and or Chinese crap they can. At a 300% mark-up when it gets unloaded at our docks.
Well I'm no longer a consumer so I guess I can now be objective. We really don't need hardly anything. 90% of "Stuff' is optional. as my pal Geneva Hagen sez. We can instead use the same stuff for years on end, and don't need much new stuff.

I mean other than new shoes each winter. Maybe a new coat or jacket two every few years. That's about it. My computer, and phone are fine. They have been for years, and will be for another 10 years. They still look good too because I takes care of them. Other than food meds shelter books a few toys, and a movie now, and then we're fine.

I treat myself to some little nice thing at least once a month. This as opposed to damned near every day as is going on all around me. It actually means more when you have to save for it plan for it all that. Like our parents, and grand parents had to do.
I watch as folks buy the same thing over, and over because it has new apps or this special bing-bang or they'll die. Nuts. Mind you being poor is a drag. I used to like buying junk it was fun...but who needs it.

Also from Geneva, "...My own measure of poor (emergencies aside) is whether I can afford to eat what I want to!"

"...are there no work houses are there no prisons?"

Being seriously poor is a super drag. An extinction level event. Never been there hope not to. Still being just somewhat poor is manageable.

A calm peaceful home is good for the soul. Sure I get nuts. Though not so demented as I would if the digs were chaotic. Tidy...tidy makes all the difference. Rich or poor. Nice tidy digs keeps you sane, and creative.


See,...creative.

As for eating. For a while not as nice as I used to. This was mostly my poor organizing of what my small income could do. Learning to be poor is I imagine like learning to be rich. You have to plan things. I still had many middle class habits. This caused any number of disasters. Now it's calmer. I buy food rationally, and plan nice events at least twice a month.

By world standards I'm rich as sin.

By oblivious upper middle class American standards I'm eating out of a dumpster. Fuck'em I'm fine.
I now know what I always supposed. One does not need very much to have a pleasant or at least calm life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It’s getting so I hate Xmas. The frenzied zombie plastic present binge is a grotesque mask for hunger and want, gruesomely indulged while thousands of homeless freeze to death.

Speaking of which, how is it that in 38 years since the nightmare began in this benighted land, not one single honest fiction film or documentary has publicly exposed the catastrophe that is homelessness, and shown it for what it truly is? What a nation of liars-to-themselves.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

No one wants to know. Unlike some social disasters that liberals like to watch films about. This one is literally at their front door. No a few coins, and signing some bullshit don't cut it, and they know it so they ignore it. When I came back from being on the outside no one wanted to hear about, and there was no consoling.

So few came back that no infrastructure ever evolved for us.

As I wrote years ago. Coming back was like coming back from a lost unpopular war. Absolutely no one wanted to hear about it. On earlier blogs comments actually told me I had gone on about it "long enough".

No it's a lost war.

Expect no films or TV series about it. At least not in this country. Maybe New Zealand will make a film. They never had a large homeless disaster so might be fascinated by a country that has more homeless than they have citizens, and so make a feature flick about it.

Anonymous said...

Supposing I were to say that our countrymen, liberals included, are a collection of callous narcissists? Would you be shocked?

I can’t *believe* how utterly, how supinely everyone has acceded to this hideous reality without lifting a finger to amend it. It blows my mind! What a horrible country.

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

Actually we're worse. Sure there are unusually good individuals, and small groups of such. There always have been. In every nation in every time. These souls temper the darkness. However there are never enough. Never.

Most of us are as you say, and worse. We just are. When our fall comes the true absolute fall it will be deserved.

I console myself in that I not only witnessed, but took part in our Republic's life at it's height. At it's best. At it's most hopeful.

Now comes the slow so slow in agony self inflicted end.

Anonymous said...

“So few came back that no infrastructure ever evolved for us.“

I just occurred to me it might also be the other way about: so few have come back because there is no infrastructure to receive them.

I hope that’s just an accidental oversight, but I wouldn’t bet my left nut on it.

Z