Friday, December 29, 2017

"...ride"


I had another of those dreams a few nights ago.

I was burning the last of my possessions. The things that like barnacles have stuck to me. They burned. My books manuscripts burned. They curled turned to ash blew away.
These, and the trinkets I've carried with me through my life. They twisted bubbled melted. Became black smoke, and vanished in the bright coals.

My parents were there.

Well their shadows in peripheral corners were. 'Yeah it was them. Why,...I don't know. They didn't speak they never do.

So I fed the fire all I still had. I cleansed myself of my worldly parts. I just did that's all. It was time. On impulse I shoved my hand into the fire. ...don't ask. It was cold. Burning ice. Dante wrote that hell is a cold place. The greater the sins the lower, and colder you get.

This is where my stuff has gone.

Being mortal I'm not so lucky. Me you, and all mortals. We vanish. Viruses great oaks lady bugs all of us go back to where we came from.
Oblivion. Nothing. ...or at least that's how it looks.

Hell of a ride.

On the other hand. When you do good it's for it's own sake. It 'is' it's own reward like fortune cookies tell us. You none of us has an account in paradise where our good deeds accrue interest.
We're spiritual paupers. I think we're suppose to be.
So just be kind, and generous as best you can.

Not for reward, but because we should.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sid, you’ve mentioned being hungry a couple of times lately. Have they *still* not reinstated your food stamps?

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

Hunger is becoming normal for many tens of millions of Americans now. As it has been normal for Billions in the world forever.

As for my food supplement that I paid into for forty years. It get's shut off regularly. That's just the system. They hope you'll stop re-applying or die. Many do especially the very elderly.

I've been in a famine since late fall.

With legal assistance I got it turned back on. I should be eating regularly again by near the 13th or 14th of the month,...till they shut it off again. At the moment I'm down to my last box of mac'n cheese. It's cooking now. On the up side my Soc. Sec. comes in tomorrow, but won't show up in my bank account till the third or so.

I'll eat then.

The problem like for the last three month I've been using part of my rent funds for food...will have to do it again. I'm a bit behind, but no red alert yet. I have it under yellow alert so far.

Mind you there are millions many millions of Americans, even with jobs, on the streets living in the cars, and on 1/4 rations in our tattered republic as we post together. So I'm still rich by both poor American, and world poverty standards. I have a home fresh water heat, sometimes, and a bed.

These are things people give their dogs.

Anonymous said...

That’s rotten.

It’s the return of capitalism. That’s what we’ve seen since 1980. Remember when we had social democracy? It came with the greatest prosperity anywhere, ever. Now they’re dismantling the last vestiges of it, and killing us instead.

Reagan, “a profoundly superficial man,” was the smiling mask of something really quite evil. The Iron Lady was in truth an economic iron maiden.

Z