Friday, June 9, 2017

"Heroin"


Well some knit while watching distressing news online or TV. I just watched the whole Comey hearing,...again. I didn't knit, but built a model WW1 dreadnaught. Unboxed cut sanded assembled painted...much like Mr. Comey was. The "H.M.S. Iron Duke"...google it. Both the hearing, and the kit made the evening pass sanely.

For you modeling fans the "Iron Duke" was an old, 1969, Airfix kit. I picked it up years ago. Very clean parts quick assembly. The painting is where the hours went. If you look close no I didn't glue the deck to the hull. I may want to motorize it one of these days.

about the "Duke"...


The "Iron Duke" was Admiral Sir John Jellico's command ship during the Battle of Jutland. You know his famous quote as so many of his ships were being blown to bits by the Imperial German Kriegsmarine. "There's something wrong with our bloody ships today!"

Well yes, and no. 

The problem was they were stuck with poor tech. Hey it was 1916. They were little more advanced than Nelson at Trafalgar. Yes new stuff was just coming on line. However no one knew how to use it on a large scale for maneuvering hundreds of ship. Very poor wireless. No anti-submarine detection. Badly coordinated naval air reconnaissance. Even when they got the information it was often not passed on due to poorly designed data dispersal...no central intelligence command...nothing...chaos.

The Brits were lucky they didn't lose more than they did. It was a TKO of the Brits by the Germans. Ironically the Admiralty didn't know how badly they ravaged the German fleet till near a year later.

Hey I'm retired pissed off, and armed with a glue gun so gimme a break. Of course all I do is read history watch lectures on YouTube, and sleep. It's cheaper than heroin, and passes the time just as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read those ships were obsolete before the war began. Every great empire is massively prepared to fight a rerun of its last successful war. In our case that would be WWII.

I like retro-tech. I appreciate technology I can understand. The invisible kind - radio, microwaves, nuke tech, etc. - is sort of annoying. If yr nuclear toaster breaks down, how the hell you gonna fix it?

Z

uncle1950uncle said...

Exactly. I mean for a busted Nuke Toaster you have to call CERN or an exorcist.